Topics

Thanks for the QSOs in the Colorado 14er Event

Bob K0NR

Thanks to everyone that came out and played mountaintop radio this weekend.
Joyce K0JJW and I had a fun time on Mount Evans today.
We hiked up from Summit Lake and operated 2m and 70 cm fm for almost 2 hours.
I am still working through the details on that.

My impression is that the weather this weekend was mostly pretty good across the state, with the usual storms rolling in during the afternoon hours.

What's Next?

Share your results by sending an email to the ham14er yahoo group.
Include whatever you want:
what was the most fun, what was not so good, weather issues, what you'll change for next time, etc.
Many of us share our logs so we can catch and correct errors.

Submit your log to the SOTA database: http://www.sotadata.org.uk/
Most experienced SOTA operators know how to do this.
If you are new to the game, I highly encourage you to start submitted your log info.
That way, you have a record of your contacts and can see your score start to grow.

Any questions, let me know.

73, Bob K0NR

Another reason to submit your log to the database:
We'll use that information to tabulate overall activity for the CO 14er Event.

BobW
Sent from mobile device

On Aug 6, 2017, at 18:51, 'Bob Witte (K0NR)' @K0NR [ham14er] <ham14er@...> wrote:

[...]

------------------------------------
Posted by: "Bob Witte (K0NR)" <@K0NR>
------------------------------------

Keep Safety First for All Mountaintop Operating!
------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Brian

Hi Bob,

We made an effort to connect a Calif. 14er, Mt Shasta, into the event. Unfortunately thundershowers shut down vertical progress toward the summit. We did get some great exercise and tested a pair of new crampons.

Regards,
Brian
N6IZ

Brad - WA6MM

Hi Bob,
I had a wonderful time doing the 14er/SOTA event on Saturday!  I made 7 S2S contacts -- 6 of them on CO 14ers.  I also made about 9 40m CW contacts to allow other SOTA chasers to participate in our event. I posted my log on the SOTA site.  Several of us (including me) decided to bail on Sunday as we were really sore and tired.  We also camped out in the rain Saturday night/Sunday morning which didn't help.

In terms of the good, bad, and ugly...

It's good the 14er event spans two days.  Last year the weather on the first day was bad...this year the weather was great on Saturday.  The bad is all the people and tourists that hike 14ers during the summer here!  You continuously need to step off the trail to let people pass coming down and going up the mountain.  That's life in Colorado these days as many more people are coming here to hike these peaks -- as well as the people living here. Totally understandable as these mountains are world-class!

The other good thing is many of us were QRV at the same time.  Several of us did tough peaks that took a lot of effort to climb and descend.  It would be better if all us tried to summit at the same time.  As you know, it's best to be off the peaks before noon (sometimes sooner) due to the unpredictable weather during the summer months.

The only ugly comment I have is I'm still sore and recovering from my climb.  I hope I can walk better in the next few days!  I guess I'm getting too old for this ;-).

Thanks for your continued sponsorship and dedication to this event.  I'll keep doing this as long as I'm able.

73., Brad
WA6MM

---In ham14er@..., <bob@...> wrote :

[...]

Brian,

Thanks for trying.
Sorry you didn't make the summit but there's always next time.

Bob

Bob Witte / K0NR / @K0NR / www.k0nr.com

Posted by: brian boschma <brianb@...>
------------------------------------

Keep Safety First for All Mountaintop Operating!
------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

Bob K0NR

Brad,
Thanks for the comments.
I was hoping we'd see a few more people activate on both days. It seems that even some of our strongest climbers got a bit wore out on Saturday and didn't return on Sunday.
It will be interesting to look at the logs and see who was active when.

73, Bob

--
Bob Witte / K0NR / bob@... <mailto:bob@...> / www.k0nr.com

b underhill

I did actually get to the top of Missouri Mountain on Sunday hoping to activate.  But the weather was coming in so I turned around and left (about 10:30).  It has a half mile summit ridge and you don't want to be caught up there.
Will try again next year.
Brian Underhill KD0IHC

> [...]

> hours.
> I am still working through the details on that.
>
> My impression is that the weather this weekend was mostly pretty good
> across the state, with the usual storms rolling in during the afternoon
> hours.
>
> What's Next?
>
> Share your results by sending an email to the ham14er yahoo group.
> Include whatever you want:
> what was the most fun, what was not so good, weather issues, what you'll
> change for next time, etc.
> Many of us share our logs so we can catch and correct errors.
>
> Submit your log to the SOTA database: http://www.sotadata.org.uk/
> Most experienced SOTA operators know how to do this.
> If you are new to the game, I highly encourage you to start submitted
> your log info.
> That way, you have a record of your contacts and can see your score

Brad - WA6MM

What a great event we had this year!  Lot's of participation and several difficult 14ers were activated.

It was great making S2S contacts on Saturday with N0MTN (Missouri), KI6YMZ (Pyramid), K0NR and K0JJW (Huron), K0FPX (Capitol) and NS0TA (Pikes Pike).  I also had an extremely rare 2m FM QSO with KX0R....I hope it wasn't a pirate! ;-).

KD0IHC, sorry to hear you didn't activate Missouri.  It's tough getting to get to the top of a summit and not being able to activate it!  I've been there!!  It's better to be safe when weather rolls in.

KC5JKU, good job on Humboldt.  I didn't activate on Sunday so I missed you!

KG7LBY, sorry to hear you didn't summit Handies.  I hope you participate next year.

KT0AM, nice to see another Huron activation.  Yes, the trails are definitely getting longer and steeper every year ;-).  Case in point...I bailed on my Sunday climb!!

KT0HNW, great job doing both Wetterhorn and Uncompahgre!  I was just finishing up on HF CW when you were QRV on Wetterhorn and I went QRT shortly thereafter.  Sorry to have missed you.

It will be interesting to see a summary of all activations for this years event.  I'm already looking forward to it.