Topics

Time to plan for the 14er Event Weekend

Bob K0NR

What? Hey? It's the middle of July already!

Just a reminder that the Colorado 14er Event is coming up on August 3rd and 4th.

For full info, see the event web site here: http://www.ham14er.org/

Some points to keep in mind:

  • We moved the ham14er yahoo group over to groups.io. It seems to be working fine. Make sure you only post items to groups.io
  • Post your 14er Event plans in the database section of groups io, under "2019 14er Event Operating Plans". This is pretty much the same thing we did on Yahoo groups but it seems to work better. Post your best guess as to what summit(s) you'll activate and if things change, go ahead and change it. Don't worry that it is a contractual commitment to activate the summit.  It just works out better if we make our plans visible and coordinate with other activators.
  • The focus of this event originated with the 14,000 foot mountains of Colorado but since then we've expanded to embrace the massive list of Summits On The Air (SOTA) peaks. Lots to choose from!
  • The event lasts all weekend but many people will activate before noon on Saturday or Sunday, standard "get off the summit before noon" advice. This makes the morning hours of 9 AM to noon prime "Summit to Summit" time.
  • Watch the weather: it seems we are getting frequent afternoon thunderstorms this year, some coming in early. Also, there is a lot of snow in the high country, so check on snow conditions if you are going to be much above 12,500 feet.

I hope to work you on a summit in August!

73 Bob K0NR

Wow...time goes by fast these days!  I'm planning on doing two 14ers for this years event.  I hope we have good weather for both days but who knows!!

That's a good point. The weather has been challenging at times.
If you only want to do one summit, plan on Saturday and still have Sunday as a backup.

Joyce and I will be activating both days...probably Friday, too.

73 Bob K0NR

On 11-Jul-19 6:45 PM, Brad - WA6MM wrote:

Wow...time goes by fast these days!  I'm planning on doing two 14ers for this years event.  I hope we have good weather for both days but who knows!!

_._,_._,_

Dan Hupp

Looks like my goal for this years 14ers is to finally get my V/UHF beams back up and see if I can talk to any of you folks on the mountains from out here on the Eastern plains, don't think that's going to be quite as easy from Akron as it used to be from Commerce City :-)

73, Dan N0TZL

Bob K0NR

Akron, CO?
I guess that makes you rare DX on 2 meters. :-)

On 11-Jul-19 10:08 PM, Dan Hupp wrote:

Looks like my goal for this years 14ers is to finally get my V/UHF beams back up and see if I can talk to any of you folks on the mountains from out here on the Eastern plains, don't think that's going to be quite as easy from Akron as it used to be from Commerce City :-)

73, Dan N0TZL

Dan Hupp

Yep, Akron, CO Bob, moved out here 2.5 years ago - it was very nice to finally get out of the big city for good.

IIRR we managed to hit the repeater out here from Mt. Bross some years ago so it can be done, probably be easier on SSB or better yet 6m SSB though.

73, Dan N0TZL