Topics

Too late for this year :-((

Dennis Ashworth <k7fl@...>

Thanks to whomever posted the blurb in QST regarding the 14er activity. What a great way to mix two of my (many) obsessions ... ham radio and mountaineering. I live in SW Washington so I'm not real familiar with the mountains involved and their level of activity. Is there someone in the group I can work with over the next 12 months (I assume this is an annual event) to find an "unclaimed" Colorado mountain????

Dennis, K7FL
Battle Ground, WA

kb0lur <ermisch@...>

Dennis,

There are about 55 peaks certified as over 14,000 feet in Colorado
so it shouldn't be a problem finding an 'unclaimed' peak for 2003.
The bigger problem is finding one that won't have a couple hundred
people visiting :) Not sure if you're planning to climb yourself or
looking to contact someone who plans to operate from a 14er.
Search on www.google.com for 'colorado fourteener' and you will
find several good reference sites. If you don't already know about
them, you may also want to browse the Adventure Radio Society site at
http://www.natworld.com/ars
I didn't make it this year either but hope to in the future.

Paul KB0LUR

--- In ham14er@y..., Dennis Ashworth <k7fl@a...> wrote:
Thanks to whomever posted the blurb in QST regarding the 14er
activity.
What a great way to mix two of my (many) obsessions ... ham radio
and
mountaineering. I live in SW Washington so I'm not real familiar
with the
mountains involved and their level of activity. Is there someone in
the
group I can work with over the next 12 months (I assume this is an
annual
event) to find an "unclaimed" Colorado mountain????

Dennis, K7FL
Battle Ground, WA

Phil Krichbaum <pfkski@...>

Dennis,
There 54 14000 ft peaks in CO recognized by the Colorado Mountainn Club and
I don't think we have ever activated much more than 20 so you should be able
to find a vacant peak. It is an annual event. 3 of the peaks are drive ups
(one requires 4WD). There is another that requires some serious 4 WD and is
not for the faint of heart. Some others require some serious hiking or
climbing effort. There is a book describing the CO 14ers that you might want
to get. It is quite a goal of local climber/hikers to bag all 54. I think
there was one guy who did them all in 30 days.
73 Phil N0KE

Thanks to whomever posted the blurb in QST regarding the 14er activity.
What a great way to mix two of my (many) obsessions ... ham radio and
mountaineering. I live in SW Washington so I'm not real familiar with the
mountains involved and their level of activity. Is there someone in the
group I can work with over the next 12 months (I assume this is an annual
event) to find an "unclaimed" Colorado mountain????

Dennis, K7FL
Battle Ground, WA

John Maki <john_maki@...>

Actually, the record for climbing all the CO 14ers is just under
11 days - check out http://www.thecavedog.com/

The vast majority of CO 14ers are class 2 "walkups" - you still
have altitude and weather to contend with, but they're technically
not difficult. Gerry Roach has an excellent guidebook on climbing
the CO 14ers. An "average" 14er might have about 3500' of vertical
gain and about 8 miles round-trip of hiking, mostly on-trail, with
a little talus-hopping for fun.

John KC0MGS

Thanks to whomever posted the blurb in QST regarding the 14er activity.
What a great way to mix two of my (many) obsessions ... ham radio and
mountaineering. I live in SW Washington so I'm not real familiar with the
mountains involved and their level of activity. Is there someone in the
group I can work with over the next 12 months (I assume this is an annual
event) to find an "unclaimed" Colorado mountain????

Dennis, K7FL
Battle Ground, WA

Bob Witte, K0NR <list@...>

In case you haven't found it already, there's information
on the event at
http://www.Colorado14erEvent.org

And at this (ham14er) yahoo group.