Topics

Use C4FM During 14er Event?

Bob K0NR
 

Joyce and I have been using the C4FM capability on our FT-1DR handheld radios when out hiking and activating SOTA peaks. Basically, it pops up the callsign in the display and shows the distance/bearing to the other station. I posted a note about the FT-1DR here:

http://www.k0nr.com/wordpress/2016/03/trail-friendly-sota-ht/

Andrew posted this note in
response:<http://www.k0nr.com/wordpress/2016/03/trail-friendly-sota-ht/#comment-47075>

Bob, I’ll have my FT-1DR with me when I get up to Colorado for the
14er Event this summer. I’d love to get some long distance S2S using
DN. We’ll be able to see our distance. Have you done the Main
firmware update and DSP update? The DSP update really improves weak
signal RX on C4FM digital.

Andrew
KD5ZZK

I know there are a number of folks out there that have Yaesu C4FM radios...anyone interested in trying this during the event?

Bob

--
Bob Witte / K0NR / @K0NR / www.k0nr.com

KD5ZZK
 

Well Bob, looks like it will be just us on C4FM so far. I'll be making a two week SOTA activation trip from Aug 1-12. The first week, I'll be making my way across northern NM activating SOTA summits and acclimating to the from Louisiana to high altitude. By Friday Aug 5, I'll be in the Telluride,CO area. I plan to climb Wilson Peak 14,023ft for the 14er event Saturday morning. This is the Colorado summit featured on the Coors Light beer label. I will carry a 12oz 'Silver Bullet' can in my pack to the summit. I'm going to drink it at the top while operating up there for the 14er event! I've got an Arrow II 2m 4-element yagi, and will point it your way for C4FM digital S2S.
I will of course be operating on HF for the SOTA Chasers also.

Andrew
KD5ZZK
Baton Rouge,LA
W5A-Arkansas SOTA manager

Bob K0NR
 

Andrew,

Thanks for the note. Sounds like a great plan, including the 'silver bullet'. I usually try to have someone else carry the beer for me though :-) Get some good photos of that operation.

I managed to fracture my ankle on Memorial Day weekend, so I am looking at doing something really, really easy for the 14er event. Probably Pikes or Evans. Let's stay in touch on the C4FM idea. I think a few others might join us...there are quite a few FT-1D's out there.

73, Bob

Bob Witte / K0NR / @K0NR / www.k0nr.com

On 6/15/2016 12:13 AM, kd5zzk@... [ham14er] wrote:
Well Bob, looks like it will be just us on C4FM so far. I'll be making a two week SOTA activation trip from Aug 1-12. The first week, I'll be making my way across northern NM activating SOTA summits and acclimating to the from Louisiana to high altitude. By Friday Aug 5, I'll be in the Telluride,CO area. I plan to climb Wilson Peak 14,023ft for the 14er event Saturday morning. This is the Colorado summit featured on the Coors Light beer label. I will carry a 12oz 'Silver Bullet' can in my pack to the summit. I'm going to drink it at the top while operating up there for the 14er event! I've got an Arrow II 2m 4-element yagi, and will point it your way for C4FM digital S2S.
I will of course be operating on HF for the SOTA Chasers also.

Andrew
KD5ZZK
Baton Rouge,LA
W5A-Arkansas SOTA manager

------------------------------------
Posted by: kd5zzk@...
------------------------------------

Keep Safety First for All Mountaintop Operating!
------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links


Bob K0NR
 

Andrew,
I will be on Pikes on Saturday (hobbling with broken ankle) and Monarch Ridge South on Sunday.
I'll have my FT-1DR along for some C4FM action.
Let's plan to work on 2m fm first and then flip over to C4FM.

Anyone else want to play along, bring your C4FM gear and give it a try.

73, Bob K0NR

Joseph Lynch
 

I promote the 14ers in my VHF and Above column in the August 2016 issue of The Spectrum Monitor. You can read about it here: August 2016



On Saturday, July 30, 2016 1:54 PM, "bob@... [ham14er]" wrote:


 
Andrew,
I will be on Pikes on Saturday (hobbling with broken ankle) and Monarch Ridge South on Sunday.
I'll have my FT-1DR along for some C4FM action.
Let's plan to work on 2m fm first and then flip over to C4FM.

Anyone else want to play along, bring your C4FM gear and give it a try.

73, Bob K0NR


Bob K0NR
 

Thanks, Joe!

BobW
Sent from mobile device

On Jul 30, 2016, at 22:17, Joe Lynch n6cl@... [ham14er] <ham14er@...> wrote:

I promote the 14ers in my VHF and Above column in the August 2016 issue of The Spectrum Monitor. You can read about it here: August 2016



On Saturday, July 30, 2016 1:54 PM, "bob@... [ham14er]" <ham14er@...> wrote:


 
Andrew,
I will be on Pikes on Saturday (hobbling with broken ankle) and Monarch Ridge South on Sunday.
I'll have my FT-1DR along for some C4FM action.
Let's plan to work on 2m fm first and then flip over to C4FM.

Anyone else want to play along, bring your C4FM gear and give it a try.

73, Bob K0NR