Topics

Use SOTAwatch to track what's happening

Bob K0NR

Some of you may already know about the SOTAwatch.org system which allows you to 1) indicate when in intend to activate a SOTA peak ("ALERT") and 2) indicate that you or someone you worked is actually on the air from a summit ("SPOT"). This is a very cool system that you should consider using. If most of our operators get "spotted" then you will be able to see who's on the air in real time (or close to it).

There are smartphone apps that access this system...that's what you want to use when out climbing. Often, but not always, you'll have enough mobile phone coverage to use the app from the summit. I use SOTA Goat for my iPhone and it works great. There are Android apps available but I am not familiar with them.

If this is of interest, you should go ahead and get registered on the SOTAwatch.org web site and get familiar with the system now.

If you are sitting at home chasing summits, then SOTAwatch is definitely your friend to help you see who's on the air and what frequency/band they are using.

73, Bob K0NR

Joseph Lynch

Hi Bob, et al.,

Joe Lynch