To: qrp-l@...,vhfqrp@...,<fpqrp-l@...>
From: Chuck Carpenter <w5usj@...>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 09:47:23 -0500
Subject: [vhfqrp] CQ WW VHF Contest 17/18 July

VHF QRPers,

If you haven't seen the announcement, the CQ WW VHF Contest is this
weekend. 6 Mtrs and 2 Mtrs, 1800 UTC Sat 17th to 1800 UTC Sun 18th. QRP
up to 10 Watts same for CW and SSB. 100 W max power! Exchange is callsign
and gridsquare. More info @ http://www.cq-amateur-radio.com

If you live in a metro area or near one (think right and left side) there
are likely to be many stations to work. If we have a good Es opening then
all the better. Look for rovers and DX too.

On 6 look for SSB from 50.125 up, CW only from about 50.080 to 50.1. Avoid
the DX window from 50.1 to 50.12 centered on 50.110. Not sure about FM not
something I do on 6. Listen below 50.080 for CW beacons. Good indication
of which direction the band is open.

On 2 SSB is 144.2 +/- and CW works best around there too. FM avoid
146.52 and other national simplex calling freq's.

Beams with rotors are best but try what ever you have. Horizontal for SSB
and CW and vertical for FM. On 6, I've worked beam to vert fixed and
mobile many times during openings. Polarization matters most when you're
close (but not too close... [g])

Also worked stations with long wires, TV antennas, HF dipoles, turnstiles,
halos, squalos and you name it. Good chance to work a bunch of grids for
VUCC.

Chuck Carpenter, W5USJ, Point, TX -|- Rains Co. -|- EM22cv -|- 72/OO

Bob Witte K0NR <k0nr-list@...>

If you are out hiking this weekend, give a listen on 2M and 6M.
If you only have 2M FM, use the 14er calling frequency of
147.42 MHz. You will need to know what grid you are in.
I will be active from one of the hills west of
Monument, monitoring 147.42 MHz. I would appreciate a contact from
anyone within simplex range.