Topics

W0C/PR-014, Quandary Peak

ke0btx

Hi All,

I am hiking Quandary on Sunday with friends and planning on a SOTA activation. I definitely want to bring my HT and beam and work 2m. I was thinking of packing my Yeasu ft-857d and buddipole for 6m. Think it would be worth it? The Colorado QSO party is this weekend...

Kris

Bob K0NR

Kris,
I really enjoy the 6m band but it needs to have some good sporadic-e propagation to have fun with it. It is late enough in the e-skip season, we probably won't have good conditions this weekend. But we could. You never know. I would probably not carry the 6m gear.

73, Bob

Bob Witte / K0NR / @K0NR / www.k0nr.com

On 8/31/2016 9:06 AM, ke0btx@... [ham14er] wrote:
Hi All,

I am hiking Quandary on Sunday with friends and planning on a SOTA activation. I definitely want to bring my HT and beam and work 2m. I was thinking of packing my Yeasu ft-857d and buddipole for 6m. Think it would be worth it? The Colorado QSO party is this weekend...

Kris

Scott Bastian

Kris, I strongly recommend using more HF frequencies.  I see you are a Tech and there are some inherent limits to HF for you outside of CW on HF.  I would definitely take 6M.

  For my SOTA activation's I have had much greater success using HF rather than VHF and I have done activation's in both California as well as Colorado.  I did 4 summits in Colorado in July, I had no takers on 2M but got all my contacts on HF/SSB.

Should you chose to take your 857d look at taking a lightweight battery, keep your power down around 10-15 watts and you can run on a LiFe Polymer battery for the short time you will be on the air.  For an antenna I would make up a light weight Dipole and try it both vertical and horizontal.  Like 2M you will be amazed at how far you will get contacts.

I currently use an Elecraft both KX2 and KX3 for my summits and I prefer an Endfed wire antenna.   My KX2 with battery, antenna and mast weighs in 2.4lbs.
 73 Scott AK6Q

ke0btx

Scott,
Thanks for all the advice. Yeah what I was wondering is what 6m propagation would be like on a 14er when there is no e-skip opening. I know 10m is pretty quiet these days, is that an option from that elevation with not an "opening"? Yeah I am almost done studying for my General exam. Hoping to get that this month or next. For running 10w do you have a LiFePo battery you recommend? A good Ah rating, but still light weight?

Kris

On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 10:17 AM, kd6qzx@... [ham14er] <ham14er@...> wrote:

[...]

Brad - WA6MM

Hi Kris,
Here's the LiFePo4 battery is use:
ZIPPY Flightmax 4200mAh 4S1P 30C LiFePo4 Pack (AR Warehouse)

Also, this is the balanced charger I bought from the same site. However, you need to supply an external AC/DC adapter for it which I already had.

Turnigy Accucel-6 80W 10A Balancer/Charger LiHV Capable (AR Warehouse)

I replaced the battery connectors with something better for SOTA.  This battery pack should be sufficient for most activations if you keep the output power down to 5-10W.  I think Bob (K0NR) just bought one as well!

---In ham14er@..., <ke0btx@...> wrote :

Scott,
Thanks for all the advice. Yeah what I was wondering is what 6m propagation would be like on a 14er when there is no e-skip opening. I know 10m is pretty quiet these days, is that an option from that elevation with not an "opening"? Yeah I am almost done studying for my General exam. Hoping to get that this month or next. For running 10w do you have a LiFePo battery you recommend? A good Ah rating, but still light weight?

Kris

Bob K0NR

Kris,
6m will be a lot like 2m in terms of propagation, without e-skip. Clearly Height Above Average Terrain helps with VHF.
10m might be worth considering with the Colorado QSO Party running. You might catch a few stations around the state even if the band is not open.

On Thu, Sep 1, 2016 at 10:17 AM, @AK6Q <mailto:@AK6Q> [ham14er] <ham14er@... <mailto:ham14er@...>> wrote:

[...]

Kris,  the Zippy battery Brad was talking about is a viable one I have not played with.  What I prefer and have 2 different versions of is the  Bioennopower.com  I have a 3ah  and a 9ah version.  Nice thing is they all have Anderson Power Poles on them already as do all of my radios.  Their warehouse is about 10 miles from me so I go by and pick them up.  Call and talk to Kevin, he is real helpful. (I have no tie to this business other than using their products.)

https://www.bioennopower.com/collections/12v-series-lifepo4-batteries/products/12v-3ah-lfp-battery-black-w-pvc-pack

I would suggest making up an antenna for 10M as well, the tuner in the 857d is not real good so you are going to have to make resonant antennas for it.   You can make up a small transformer (UnUn) like a 9:1 and use different matched lengths of wire for the bands you want, they are quick easy and cheep to make.

73 Scott AK6Q

ke0btx

Thank you everyone for the advice and recommendations! I am not 100% sure if I can get everything together for HF on Sunday, busy weekend for me. But I will definitely be activating 2m/70cm on Sunday. Will put an alert on SotaWatch soon. Keep an ear out for me and my friend Dan (KD0BOV) early Sunday morning around 8-9am on W0C/PR-014, Quandary Peak. Thanks again.

Kris
KE0BTX

On Fri, Sep 2, 2016 at 8:30 AM, kd6qzx@... [ham14er] <ham14er@...> wrote:

[...]

Hi Scott (AK6Q),
Those Bioennopower batteries look interesting.  Thanks for that link.

BTW, I lived in Fullerton back in the 60's & 70's. I went to Rolling Hills Elementary school close to your QTH.  I see you are stepping up your activations this year...even in Colorado!

---In ham14er@..., <kd6qzx@...> wrote :

[...]

Brad, my kids went to Rolling HIlls.    Yes I am more active this year.  I have been hiking with Paul W6PNG.   I grew up in Gunnsion CO so I get back there a couple of times a year.   Hope to work you S2S and maybe even an eyeball Q.

I really do like these Bioenno batts they are working out just fine.

Scott AK6Q

ke0btx

Calling cq  now on quandary peak

Kris