Topics

[w0c-sota] Time to plan for the 14er Event Weekend

David Stillman

Wow, time flies!

My plan this year is to head southwest and activate some 14ers in the San Juan range. I haven't picked summits yet, but have my eye on the Redcloud group and the Wilson group. I'm taking Friday off as well, so hope to drive down Thursday and hike until my legs don't move any more :) I'll update the database when I do some more research and plans solidify, but as usual will plan on summiting 8/9am local time and staying as long as weather allows.

I'll have capabilities for 2m FM and SSB with a 3 element yagi to try to pull out weak stations, plus the usual HF SSB setup. I'll bring a tuner to see if I can get decent signal out on 60m for an intra-state HF contact per Walt's recommendation.

Looking forward to the event this year!

Dave KI6YMZ

On Thu, Jul 11, 2019, at 18:02, Bob K0NR wrote:

What? Hey? It's the middle of July already!

Just a reminder that the Colorado 14er Event is coming up on August 3rd and 4th.

For full info, see the event web site here: http://www.ham14er.org/

Some points to keep in mind:

  • We moved the ham14er yahoo group over to groups.io. It seems to be working fine. Make sure you only post items to groups.io
  • Post your 14er Event plans in the database section of groups io, under "2019 14er Event Operating Plans". This is pretty much the same thing we did on Yahoo groups but it seems to work better. Post your best guess as to what summit(s) you'll activate and if things change, go ahead and change it. Don't worry that it is a contractual commitment to activate the summit.  It just works out better if we make our plans visible and coordinate with other activators.
  • The focus of this event originated with the 14,000 foot mountains of Colorado but since then we've expanded to embrace the massive list of Summits On The Air (SOTA) peaks. Lots to choose from!
  • The event lasts all weekend but many people will activate before noon on Saturday or Sunday, standard "get off the summit before noon" advice. This makes the morning hours of 9 AM to noon prime "Summit to Summit" time.
  • Watch the weather: it seems we are getting frequent afternoon thunderstorms this year, some coming in early. Also, there is a lot of snow in the high country, so check on snow conditions if you are going to be much above 12,500 feet.

I hope to work you on a summit in August!

73 Bob K0NR

I was leaning towards just taking the FM gear but if you are going to have SSB, we can take that along, too.

Anyone else in for 2m SSB?