Topics

WA6MM 14er Event Log

Brad - WA6MM

Here's my log for Mount Bierstadt on Saturday. Worked 40 stations including five S2S 14ers. Had a great time with 300 people on the trail and summit!! I've never seen so many people out hiking this peak before. I had to find a place to operate away from people and the wind. I decided to climb down the east side of the summit about 15 feet to set up my HF antenna (see attached picture). This also attenuated my VHF signal to the west where other operators were but I was out of the wind and comfortable!

I had several people come and talk to me about what I was doing. They asked some really great questions as I tried to explain ham radio, RF signal propagation, SOTA, and the 14er event. Everybody thought it was really cool and I might have inspired a few to pursue this hobby! I need to craft some sort of card I can give out that details a few things as well as websites they can go to. I had to cut the discussions short as I was trying to get set up and start my activation.

I cancelled my Sunday activation after looking at the weather report at 4am when I was going to leave my house. I can't run down a mountain as fast as David (KI6YMZ) to get away from the lightning ;-).

Thanks for all the contacts and participation in the 14er event!

73, Brad
WA6MM

Brad - WA6MM

Darn Yahoo!  Let's try this again...

Jonathan L. Rosner

Thanks for the QSO at 1616Z on August 4, 2018, 14.063 MHz, your report
to me 549, mine to you 339.

Impressive log; led me to look at your great photos on your QRZ page.
Bierstadt was the last 14er I climbed; turns out in 2009 I was the oldest
(68) in the 14-er event. Photo and log attached.

Jon WO9S

-- Jonathan L. Rosner
Enrico Fermi Inst., U. Chicago Phone: 773-702-7694
5640 S. Ellis Avenue Fax: 773-702-8038
Chicago, IL 60637 USA @jlrosner
================================================================

Brad - WA6MM

Hi Jon,
Wow...it was really nice to work a guy who climbed Bierstadt years ago!  I'll bet you had less people on the trail and summit in 2009.  I'm sure you can still climb mountains!!  I'm glad I could work both VHF and HF so I could work all of you guys out of VHF range,

Thanks for helping me activate Mt Bierstadt on our 14er event here.  I hope to work you again soon.

73, Brad
WA6MM

---In ham14er@..., <rosner@...> wrote :

Thanks for the QSO at 1616Z on August 4, 2018, 14.063 MHz, your report
to me 549, mine to you 339.

Impressive log; led me to look at your great photos on your QRZ page.
Bierstadt was the last 14er I climbed; turns out in 2009 I was the oldest
(68) in the 14-er event. Photo and log attached.

Jon WO9S

-- Jonathan L. Rosner
Enrico Fermi Inst., U. Chicago Phone: 773-702-7694
5640 S. Ellis Avenue Fax: 773-702-8038
Chicago, IL 60637 USA rosner@...
================================================================

Brad - WA6MM

Jon (KO9S),
I forgot to tell you I was very impressed with your log from the 2009 14er event.  I think you made 12 14er S2S contacts that day!  I've never managed to do that after several years now.  Great job my friend!!

73, Brad
WA6MM