Topics

Weather Considerations

Bob K0NR

Joyce K0JJW and I have been activating a number of SOTA peaks the last couple of weekends, getting ready for the 14er event. We are definitely into the "afternoon thunderstorm" pattern, so keep that in mind when you activate a summit this weekend. Most people know that the general rule of thumb is to be off the summit before noon...but that is only a rule of thumb. Your mileage may vary, some restrictions apply.

Safety should always be your first priority.

Another thing to consider is activating a peak that is near treeline. We had an experience last weekend when the weather was kind of marginal. It was raining off and on and there was lightning in the vicinity, but not very close. We were headed to a summit that was about 12k feet, just above treeline. We were able to hike up in some rain and hit the summit when the clouds cleared. The point is that being below treeline or just above it gives you some options. Compare this to a 14er where you may easily be over an hour away from treeline...you need to retreat a lot earlier. Perhaps think about a summit that is not a 14er as a "backup" if the weather doesn't cooperate.

Something to think about.

73, Bob K0NR