Topics

Wetterhorn/Uncompahgre Activations

Terry Carter

I had an outstanding weekend solo hiking two great San Juan 14ers, and meeting new people via ham radio!

I got a late start on Saturday, so I didn't get to the Matterhorn Creek trailhead until 9am!  But I heard N6JFD on Redcloud Peak when I arrived, and let him know I was on my way!  I got to the summit at approximately 11am, only one hour after I was planning to be there.  I caught several others on their way down from their peaks: K0NR & K0JJW on their way down from Huron and KD5ZZK on the way down from Redcloud.  I also worked KC5CW on his way up Redcloud.  After I departed from the summit, I worked him once he made it to the top.  Three other people were with me on the summit at the time I made the contact with NS0TA on Pikes Peak.  They thought that was cool to talk to someone that far away!  Once back at the car, I drove down the road to the Nellie Creek Road and camped for the night there.

On the second day, I caught a ride up to the Nellie Creek Trailhead (which cut 4 miles off the hike!).  I made it up to the summit by 8:30.  I called CQ on 147.42 and got no response.  So, I got creative and called out on the Western Colorado Amateur Radio Club's 146.94 repeater in Grand Junction.  (with the elevation, it was full quieting!) I heard back from N0FCK and spoke to him for a few minutes.  Then, Tom, our club president, came back to me on the repeater, as well as my dad K0GUZ.  I let them and everyone else listening know that I am on 147.42.  Within a minute, I heard back from N0GTO (Sam) in Grand Junction, then Tom (KD0UKO) who lives in Fruita!  Both came in full quieting.  I then heard a station in Gunnison, one more Grand Junction station, and another who was mobile somewhere in Gunnison County. After that, the Summit-to-Summit contacts started coming in.  I stayed up there a little bit longer than I wanted to, because a nasty cloud was building rapidly overhead. I got a S2S with KC5JKU on Humboldt as I was leaving the activation zone.  I made it down with a little bit hail.  I hiked about two miles past the trailhead down the road, until a family I met on the mountain offered a ride.  That didn't come soon enough since it started pouring rain right then!  I got back to the car and drove back to Grand Junction.  Once again, it was a great weekend!  Thanks Bob, for organizing this event!  It sounds like I'm going to be putting together a slide show for my radio club meeting this weekend!  They're all excited to hear all about it.

Anyway, here are my QSOs from Wetterhorn Peak (RG-003) & Uncompahgre Peak (RG-001).  I didn't write down the times while on Wetterhorn, so they were my best guess!

Wetterhorn Peak on Saturday:

TimeCallBandModeNotes
17:00zKC5CW144MHzFMOn his way up Redcloud Peak
17:02zK0NR144MHzFMOn his way down from Huron
17:05zNS0TA144MHzFMS2S Pikes Peak
17:10zKD5ZZK144MHzFMOn his way down from Redcloud
17:15zK0GUZ144MHzFMS2S Crag Crest
17:40zK0JJW144MHzFMOn her way down from Huron

Uncompahgre Peak on Sunday:

TimeCallBandModeNotes
14:40zN0GTO144MHzFMIn Grand Junction
14:45zKD0UKO144MHzFMFrom Fruita, CO
14:47zN0NHJ144MHzFMIn Gunnison
15:33zWE0B144MHzFMIn Grand Junction
15:54zKM5TYK144MHzFMMobile near Gunnison
16:00zW0CP144MHzFMS2S SP058 Monarch Ridge
16:19zKT0AM144MHzFMS2S Huron
16:22zWE7C144MHzFMS2S S. Bald Mtn
16:43zN6JFD144MHzFMOn his way up Cinnamon Pass
16:50zKC5JKU144MHzFMS2S Humboldt

Here's a link to photos from the weekend: https://www.flickr.com/gp/8111821@N04/906Q66

Thanks again!!
73,
Terry (KE0HNW)

Walton Stinson

Hi Terry,
Great to work you and congrats on the double. I hear that Wetterhorn is one of the best 14er climbs in the state and one of the most majestic mountains. Great job. 73, Walt W0CP

Bob K0NR

Terry,
Great report. Glad you had fun.

I am wondering how we missed you on Sunday from Mt Evans...it seems our times overlapped. Oh well, that's part of the randomness of the event.

BobW
Sent from mobile device

On Aug 7, 2017, at 20:55, Terry Carter carterterrence@... [ham14er] <ham14er@...> wrote:

[...]

Bob, I'm also sorry I missed you on Sunday.  I heard Walt W0CP working you, but I didn't hear you.  It's definitely the way these things go.  Thanks again for coordinating all of this.

Terry

On Tue, Aug 8, 2017 at 6:30 AM, Bob Witte K0NR bob@... [ham14er] <ham14er@...> wrote:

[...]

Mark Allsop

You did the Wetterhorn hike in 2 hours? That's awesome, remind me NEVER to hike with you, I don't run up 14'ers! Two great hills in two days, well done, Terry! Good to work you this year.

jklmnop@...

Hi Terry
  My girlfriend and I drove in from Utah intending to climb Handies (we didn't make it). I answered your CQs on Saturday and Sunday but apparently I never got through (all I have is a BaoFeng HT.  I didn't expect much and it didn't disappoint).
Just curious, what kind of antenna were you using?
John
KG7LBY

Terry Carter

John, that's too bad that I missed you both days. I also primarily use a Baofeng HT, for now. I've found the receiver can be less than adequate, especially when it comes to picking up weak signals... (even with the squelch all the way open) The antenna I use is the Arrow 3 element 2-meter yagi. It's lightweight and can be easily disassembled and placed in my pack in a manner similar to my hiking poles!

73,
Terry (KE0HNW)