Topics

Winter trip #2

Joe Burleson <ab0yc@...>

We are going to try to climb Ellingwood and Blanca this weekend. We
will approach from the Como Lake (west) side. The approach will be
Saturday (1/24) with Sunday and/or Monday climbing days. Assuming we
make the summit(s) and the weather is reasonable (i.e. not -20 with
40mph wind), I will make a call. Summit window is most likely 10am to
1pm. Since there is a VHF contest also during that time I will call
first on 147.42 MHz with 146.52 as an alternate.

I will probably take my VX-7R with the MFJ 1714 long ranger antenna.

Bob K0NR <k0nr-list@...>

Joe,
I hope to work you on Sunday.

--- Joe Burleson <ab0yc@...> wrote:
We are going to try to climb Ellingwood and Blanca
this weekend. We
will approach from the Como Lake (west) side. The
approach will be
Saturday (1/24) with Sunday and/or Monday climbing
days. Assuming we
make the summit(s) and the weather is reasonable
(i.e. not -20 with
40mph wind), I will make a call. Summit window is
most likely 10am to
1pm. Since there is a VHF contest also during that
time I will call
first on 147.42 MHz with 146.52 as an alternate.

I will probably take my VX-7R with the MFJ 1714 long
ranger antenna.

=====
Bob Witte
bob@...
k0nr@...

Bob Witte K0NR <k0nr-list@...>

As planned, I operated from Mt Herman for the VHF contest on Saturday
and Sunday afternoon -- hiked up both days. On Sunday, made it to the
top around 11 AM and quickly set up on 147.42 MHz. Heard Joe AB0YC
calling there, operating from Ellingwood Point, 14,042 feet, DM77. We
had a quick contact and then he headed down. Signals were weak.

This was one of the more interesting contacts in the VHF contest...a
14er summit climbed in January. And the only station I worked in
DM77. Thanks, Joe!

--- In ham14er@..., Bob K0NR <k0nr-list@r...> wrote:
Joe,
I hope to work you on Sunday.