Topics

Worked Colorado Mountains Award - draft idea

Bob Witte, K0NR <list@...>

Colorado 14er Event List:

I mentioned a while back that the 14er Event Task Force was discussing an award to promote contacts with the summits of the Colorado 14ers. Attached below is a DRAFT proposal of what it could look like. There may be a small fee for this award (like $5 to cover printing and postage).

Some of the basic ideas behind this are:
- this award should encourage people to participate in the Colorado 14er Event either on a summit or other location
- the award should not be limited to one year so that people can work the required summits over time
- this award should be as simple as possible (easy to understand, easy to administer)
- the award shouldn't be all that difficult to achieve but should require some minimum effort

At this point, we are looking for three things:
- feedback on whether this award is of interest to people
- feedback/suggestions on changes to the draft award
- a volunteer to be the awards manager
(this will not be a huge amount of work but it won't happen without someone doing it)

Please direct your comments back to the ham14er list (ham14er@...).

73,
Bob

Bob Witte K0NR
(formerly KB0CY)
k0nr@...
DXCC WAS VUCC
http://www.rwitte.com

Worked Colorado Mountains Award

The purpose of this award is to promote the use and understanding of amateur radio by combining it with backcountry, hiking/climbing and mountaintop operating. The award is available to licensed amateur radio operators who make direct contact with radio amateurs operating from 10 or more of the Colorado 14,000 foot mountains.

Rules
1. The official list of Colorado 14,000 foot mountains consists of the 54 peaks normally recognized as distinct 14,000 foot or greater mountains, as recorded on the Colorado 14er Event web site (http://www.Colorado14erEvent.org)
2. Applicants must have contacted radio amateurs on at least 10 of the Colorado 14,000 Foot Mountains. The number of mountains worked will be indicated on the award.
3. Mountaintop stations must be near the actual recognized summit of the mountain, generally within 500 vertical feet and 1000 horizontal feet of the highest point on the mountain.
4. Contacts can be made on any authorized amateur radio frequency using any authorized mode.
5. Contacts made via terrestrial repeaters are not recognized for this award.
6. Contacts made via satellite repeaters in space are allowed.
7. Contacts can be made from any location and any number of locations.
8. Contacts must be made on or after January 1, 1990.
9. Endorsements are available upon request for hf-only, vhf-only, band, mode, satellite, etc. at the discretion of the Awards Manager.

Application
To apply for this award, send a list of contacts completed including for each contact the callsign of the station worked, the mountain that the station was operating from, date and time worked, band and mode used. Also, indicate any endorsements requested.

QSL cards are not required.

Include the following statement with your application:
I certify that the above list is a true record of the contacts that I have made consistent with the rules and requirements of this award.

Awards Manager
Applications and questions should be directed to:
Joe Awards-Manager
7373 Street Name
City, State ZIP
email@...

Paul Ermisch <ermisch@usa.net> <ermisch@...>

Bob,

I've been turning over this idea in my mind for the past few months
myself. Figured it would goad me into making the commitment of
topping three 14ers this summer :)

The DRAFT proposal appears to cover everything. I was thinking 5
contacts minimum but not sure if that makes it too easy. Have you
considered offering awards for peaks activated? That may get a few
more hams out during the season and help "promote use and
understanding". Suggest more info provided for this award in order
to promote interest - activators should provide a digital picture (if
convenient) and write-up of their quest that can be posted on a
website.

Also, "Worked Colorado Mountains" doesn't sound descriptive enough.
In my mind, I was thinking "Radio 14K award" or something with 14K in
the title.

If this becomes a reality, you may also want to contact Adventure
Radio Society (www.natworld.com/ars) so they can announce it in one
of their online issues.

If you do not already have someone in mind, I'll volunteer for awards
manager. I know this award would definitely be of interest to
QRP'ers and HFPackers - it's similar to the AT awards available
(http://www.n3epa.org/Pages/AT/AT.htm)

Paul KB0LUR

--- In ham14er@..., "Bob Witte, K0NR" <list@r...> wrote:
[...]

k0nr@a...
DXCC WAS VUCC
http://www.rwitte.com

[...]

email@e...

Bob Witte <list@...>

Paul,
Thanks for the reply!

The DRAFT proposal appears to cover everything. I was thinking 5
contacts minimum but not sure if that makes it too easy. Have you
considered offering awards for peaks activated? That may get a few
more hams out during the season and help "promote use and
understanding". Suggest more info provided for this award in order
to promote interest - activators should provide a digital picture (if
convenient) and write-up of their quest that can be posted on a
website.
The minimum number of contacts can be adjusted higher or lower.
I've thought of having any where from 3 to 20....its really a balance
of "too easy" versus "too hard". A key idea here is to keep track
of the number of summits worked (over and above the minimum)
and indicate it on the award. So a radio amateur can get an award
with the minimum but come back later to have the number of
summits increased (assuming more summits were worked).

With regard to awards for peaks activated...this could be done.
My bias is to keep it clean and simple as possible. During the
14er Event, activating a peak will result in lots of 14er contacts,
so the award is an incentive to activate a peak. However, I suppose
that outside of the 14er Event, recognizing peaks activated might
be a nice incentive for people to activate peaks, let everyone know
about it, etc. So maybe that is something we should do?
Opinions?

Also, "Worked Colorado Mountains" doesn't sound descriptive enough.
In my mind, I was thinking "Radio 14K award" or something with 14K in
the title.
Good idea. We might want to keep "Colorado" in the name....there are
14er's in other states (California, Alaska). Other ideas from people?

> If this becomes a reality, you may also want to contact Adventure
Radio Society (www.natworld.com/ars) so they can announce it in one
of their online issues.
Funny thing...I've asked them for help in publicizing the 14er Event in past
years but they've mostly ignored my requests. They apparently see HF QRP
on the trail as different than what we do during the 14er event.

If you do not already have someone in mind, I'll volunteer for awards
manager. I know this award would definitely be of interest to
QRP'ers and HFPackers - it's similar to the AT awards available
(http://www.n3epa.org/Pages/AT/AT.htm)
A volunteer! Great! I think you have the job.

I had not seen the AT awards. These are interesting and similar to
what we are proposing. I like the idea of using a web site to post
the running list of awards issued...another incentive to participate.
My opinion is that the multiple types of AT awards are a bit more
complicated than necessary.

Another thought after viewing the AT Award page...they only
allow relatively recent contacts for the award (probably the date
the award was launched). We might want to do the same
(rather than instantly have applications from the last 10 years of
contacts).

Let's see if other people on the list weigh in with their ideas.
Does anyone else see value in this award????

Dan Hupp <dhupp4@...>

Hi Bob & Paul,

Looks like you found a victim--er volunteer Bob (don't know what gets into
my fingers sometimes).

I still like the idea of an award and limiting the time period makes sense
as well to keep folks interested. I'm all for making it retroactive so we
can break Paul in real good by digging out old logs but that is probably a
bad idea and I'll set that aside. There should be a 3-4 year time frame to
get enough contacts for the award and 10 contacts sounds about right to me,
somewhat doable in one year from a summit but will take a bit of work from a
flatland station.

As long as I'm tossing my 2 cents in, why not just name the award after the
event? Colorado 14er award sounds good to me.

Maybe we can drag some of these other 84 folks out of their winter slumber
and get them to chime in on this, I can fit the last 2 years chatter in this
group onto a couple of floppy disks.

73, Dan Hupp N0TZL

Jonathan L. Rosner

I like the idea of an award - the original idea of 10 stations worked
sounds like a good starting point.

I am hoping to be around for this year's event. I may try Quandary. My
wife talked me out of trying it in 2001 since I was coming directly from
the flatlands. This year I will have been at 8000 feet for 3 weeks and
will likely be in better shape.

73,
Jon WO9S
--
Jonathan L. Rosner Phone: 773-702-7694
Enrico Fermi Institute Fax: 773-702-8038